The crew over at GoPro sent us over one of their new HD wearable camcorders over for review on Bike198.com. With a unique to GoPro fisheye lens and high resolution HD video, this helmet and wearable cam is going to be a blast to get out on the trail. The GoPro Hero HD is capable of recording up to 1080p video and with multiple mounting solutions…we got in the seatpost and chest mount with our kit…you can capture the action in more ways than ever. So let’s take a look at the specs before we jump into a bunch of “Hey! Watch this!” moments.
GoPro Hero HD Helmet Cam
GoPro’s HD Helmet HERO is the world’s highest performance wearable 1080p HD video and still photo camera. Professional quality 1080p / 960p / 720p HD resolutions record at 30 and 60 frames per second (60 fps in 720p). Record up to 2.5 hours on a single charge and up to 9 hours total on a 32GB SD card (not included).
The camera can also shoot automatic 5MP photos at 2/5/10/30 and 60 second intervals during your activity, hands free. Press the shutter button once at the start of your activity and record up to 2.5 hours of poster-print quality photos of you and your friends, living it up.
Included are mounts for attaching the camera to three helmets and two pieces of gear or vehicles, as well as a head strap allowing you to wear the camera like a headlamp. You can also pull this strap over helmets for easy camera sharing between friends. One of the above mentioned helmet mounts is a lace-through strap-mount designed for vented helmets.
- HD Video Resolution Modes: (subject to change, pending final firmware release)
- 1080p = 1920×1080 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 15 Mbit/s data rate
- 960p = 1280×960 pixels (4:3), 30 fps, 12 Mbit/s data rate
- 720p = 1280×720 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 15 Mbit/s data rate
- 720p = 1280×720 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate
- WVGA = 848×480 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate
- Sensor Type: 1/2.5″ HD CMOS, 2.2µm-sized pixels
- Light Sensitivity: Super low-light sensitivity (1.4 V/lux-sec)
- Video Format: H.264 compression, saved as Windows- & Mac-compatible MPEG4 (.mp4) file
- Exposure Control: Auto with user selectable center weighted average and spot metering settings
- White Balance: Auto
- Battery Life: Approx. 2.5 hrs
We will be using this cam from GoPro to record footage for reviews and use it for a standalone review here on Bike198.com, so be on the lookout for more footage and info on this wearable camcorder as we move forward. Who knows…we might even capture some “oh s&!t!” moments along the way…