Ellsworth Aluminum All Mountain Wheels – Preview
After the exclusive interview with Tony Ellsworth, I got set up with a demo set of the Aluminum All Mountain Wheels for review. They came this week and here is your first look at the set.
From the Ellsworth Bikes website:
- 32 spokes laced 3x, means maximum strength to weight ratio lacing design.
- Ellsworth’s Quad Butted spokes make for more spokes with less weight.
- Bottom line is you won’t experience another mountain bike wheel that will roll and track like this one. It’s an experience you have to ride to know.
- 32mm cross section on this All Mountain wheelset allow for wide tires to maximize the contact patch on the ground. Increasing control and traction, without increasing weight for a bigger tire. Also, reducing sidewall ﬂex and tire slop in handling from the large aspect ratio of a big tire on a narrow rim. Again, resulting in an overall lighter wheel package with bigger tire contact patches on the ground and higher stiffness and directional control.
- This wheel features and interchangeable 20mm to standard QR front hub.
- Each wheel is hand built by a master wheel builder with over 12 years experience;
- Each wheel is de-tensioned 6 times, and then re-trued and re-tensioned again by hand.
Hubs and Bearings:
- Flex in a wheel robs your energy. Flex starts where your wheel ﬁxes to the dropout, the force to ﬂex is ﬁrst countered by the bearings, then the spokes.
- Each direct pull hub uses the highest quality Japanese EZO full compliment bearings
- Sealed against the elements for durability, and from impurities that would impede smooth rolling performance.
- The highest quality Japanese EZO Full compliment bearings means more balls:
- Less Flex–The bearing is the ﬁrst line of defense to resist the lateral loads that START to ﬂex the wheel from the axle out. More contact points mean better resistance to wheel ﬂex originating at the center of the wheel.
- Smoother Rolling under load–More bearings dissipate the loads, so that each bearing contacts the race with less pressure, and is able to roll smoother under load. These are FAST wheels under load! You’ll have to ride them and feel the difference
- Direct pull quadruple taper butted spokes:
- The patented 2.3mm head and quadruple butted spokes continue the stiffness from the center of the wheel. Faster rolling, stiffer wheel due to engineered bearings, Quadruple butted 2.3mm head strait pull spoke and high spoke tension possible with direct pull lacing, ﬁnished with shot peened special 6 series alloy rims.
- No loss of energy from rotational “wind up” of a conventional spoke.
- During acceleration or deceleration. Up to 30% more efﬁcient then a conventional spoke wheel.
- Patented Quadruple Taper Butted spokes for increased strength, fatigue life and less weight.
- 2.3mm head area resists the ﬂex from the center of the wheel better then any other spoke conﬁguration.
- As loads on spokes reduce from the center, the tapers save weight without compromising strength and stiffness.
- At the nipple, the 2.0mm threads and size provide reliable strength and durability, even in Alloy Nipples.
- Breaking tension is the same as a 14 gauge Stainless Steel DT Swiss conventional spoke, at a fraction of the weight!
- Polished Stainless Steel
- The natural bright stainless steel has not been treated with heat and chemicals that weaken the temper and compromise “black” or colored spokes.
- Eyeleted for durability at the nipple whole.
- Shot peened Aluminum for increased strength and fatigue life.
- XC and RACE models feature a 6066 high strength alloy for longer fatigue life, lighter weight and increased stiffness.
- WIDTH provides a wider stance of the tire on the rim, allowing a larger contact patch of the tire on the ground.
- Aluminum weighs less then rubber—a narrower lighter tire can have more ground contact and provide better traction on and Ellsworth wheelset due to the wider stance.
- Results in an overall lighter tire and wheel package particularly on the bigger rims, the All Mountain 32mm and the Rogue 40mm.
- Wider rims, mean less sidewall ﬂex and more control on the bike as a whole.
What Am I Doing With This Set?
I am going to beat the hell out of them…that’s what I’m going to do! I am installing these silver spoked beauties on the El Terremoto 6.0 for some good thrashing. That bike sees everything from shuttle runs to fast, techy xc. It is time to open up the test gates for another round. Stay tuned for the review!